As a newcomer to Go Local, I’ve been both impressed and challenged by the volume of greens included in the share. We love greens, so the challenge has been an enjoyable one.
I’ve discovered some delicious recipes from Melissa Clark of the New York Times. I rarely look elsewhere on the internet for recipes these days as quality of the recipes at the NYT are second to none. Melissa, if you haven’t heard of her, is a brilliant young chef whose recipes never fail to impress. You can access the recipes for free though you have to make an account.
I’ve also rediscovered how delicious barely-tender greens with high quality olive oil and sea salt are. I’m an olive oil snob. Get a good peppery olive oil from Sicily that makes you cough a little when you have a teaspoonful of it and see for yourself. The selection at Mmmm at Grainger Market is excellent and you can try before you buy.
This week, try Melissa’s Spicy Pan Fried Noodles, which uses spinach and spring onions. I’ve made it a few times and here are my comments:
- This tastes like pad Thai if you use peanuts and rice noodles.
- Cilantro is fresh coriander.
- Scallions are spring onions. This recipe calls for a cup, which is a largish bunch.
- We go through loads of sriracha sauce in this house. If you love spicy stuff, get some – all of the big supermarkets sell it.
- Leave out the salt as it really does not need it with all of that soy sauce.
- This recipe calls for around 120g of spinach. You can use at least twice as much, just use a big pan!